Partner Visa (Subclass 820 and 801)


The Partner visas (subclass 820 and 801) allow the individuals to live in Australia who are spouse or a de facto partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

The temporary partner 820 visa is granted first and allows the applicant to live in Australia for two years. During this period, the applicants can apply for the permanent 801 visa if they wish to live in Australia permanently.

If you have been in a long-term relationship before you lodge your application, the permanent subclass 801 visa may be granted immediately after the temporary subclass 820 visa. Contact Infinite Migration to discuss whether you are eligible.

What you can do on the Partner visa (subclass 820)

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) lets you:

  • stay in Australia until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801)
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia (no government support)
  • travel outside Australia as many times as you want
  • access up to 510 hours of free English language tuition provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s national health scheme.

Are you eligible?

You must be married or in a de facto relationship with:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Your marriage must be valid under Australian law. This means you must have parental permission if you are 16 or 17 years of age.

You must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months.

We will consider your circumstances and assess your eligibility here at Infinite Migration.


You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. An eligible sponsor is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, who undertakes sponsorship obligations. Generally, the sponsor is the partner of the applicant.

Sponsorship Limitations

Sponsorship application on partner visa would not be considered by the department of immigration if:

  • The sponsor has been granted a partner visa or prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) in the last five years
  • The sponsor has already sponsored two persons on a partner visa or prospective marriage visa (subclass 300)
  • The sponsor has sponsored a person on partner visa or prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) in the last five years


You and your partner must have been in a de facto relationship for the entire 12 months immediately prior to lodging your application.

The 12-month relationship requirement may be waived, Infinite Migration can discuss this further with you.

Health requirements

You must meet certain health requirements. Please do not undertake a health check unless requested to do so.

Character requirements

You must meet character requirements. Should you have any character issues our team at Infinite Migration can assist in putting forward an application that attempts to resolve character issues.

Enquiry Now

Please fill all the fields in the following form and press 'Send'. We will get back to you as soon as possible.